It is no secret that the construction industry can be very slow when it comes to change. It takes years for the industry to acknowledge and then adopt some change. The world is changing at a rapid pace. In the last few decades, the internet and technology have taken over every industry, we are moving towards artificial intelligence, and we also have a sword of global warming looming over our heads. Due to these such factors, even the construction industry has seen some drastic changes in the last ten years.
In India, there are a lot of construction companies in Noida and Delhi who have adapted to such changes-
1. Prefabricated and Modular Construction: One major change that the construction industry has adopted wholeheartedly is prefabrication or modular construction of buildings and other repetitive structures. The parts of construction are built beforehand in the safety of a factory, and then these parts are assembled on the work site. This method is extremely flexible and helps in saving the amount of material, money, and time while constructing repetitive structures. This also helps in recycling the material that is not used in the construction.
2. Technology Advancement: The construction industry has seen major technological advancement in the last years. Nowadays, construction project management software is being used in construction for bundling, scheduling, project management, and time-in-order of the projects. This software also helps in keeping a database to keep the record of all the material, workforce, working hours, etc. Another major technological advancement that has happened in construction is the usage of drones. Nowadays, drones are being used to record videos or pictures for designing, for survey purpose, and also to keep track of workforce safety.
3. Green Technology and Sustainability: The construction industry has acknowledged and made efforts to undo all the bad that has been done to the earth by decreasing its carbon footprint. According to a survey, 20% of global emission is courtesy of the construction industry. But it has finally taken steps to environmentally responsible resource and constructs structures efficiently and sustainably. The planning, designing, construction, maintenance, demolition of any structure is now done responsibly. Industries are building carbon scrubbing building facades, thermally driven air conditioners, bricks made of recycled cigarette butts, and asphalt that will heal itself.
4. Better Safety Equipment: The construction industry has also implemented the usage of better safety equipments. The record shows that in the construction of any structure, many people get injured or sometimes die due to lack of better safety equipment. Finally, special measures are taken for the safety of the workforce and other constructing workers. Technology like a drone is being used to keep an eye on the constructing field to ensure everyone’s safety.
5. Increasing Material Cost, Decreasing Labor Force: In recent times, there has a major increase in the cost of material, especially steel, iron, steel mill products, and software lumber. According to U.S Bureau of Labor Statistics, there has been a 9% increase in material cost since December 2017. Furthermore, our country is also going through a major crisis of labor force due to the increasing rate of unemployment.
6. Building Information Modelling: Building information modelling is a useful tool in the construction industry. It is a way of generating and managing computer representations of the buildings, roads, and utilities before they are built. BIM models can help in creating a maintenance schedule in advance. Architects and engineers can use BIM to decipher which material will hold up over time.
Construction companies in Noida have adopted these changes in the last ten years and are using them productively to build more efficient and sustainable structures.